2023 Citywide Election
There will be a vote-by-mail election for Hyattsville residents on May 9, 2023, to elect a Mayor and Councilmembers for each of the 5 Wards.
Important Dates and Deadlines
- February 1, 2023: Virtual Candidate Information Session from 6 - 8 PM for residents wishing to learn more about the Councilmember and Mayor position and requirements. Registration here!
- February 7, 2023: Candidacy filing period for Hyattsville residents who wish to run for the position of Councilmember or Mayor opens! Additional details can be found on the City's Candidate webpage here. Candidate Packets will also be available for pick up at City Building by appointment by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- February 25, 2023: In-person Candidate Information Session for residents wishing to learn more about the Councilmember and Mayor position and requirements; Session will be from 10 AM-noon at the City Building, 1st Floor, Multipurpose Room.
- March 10, 2023, @ 5 PM: Deadline to file for candidacy.
- March 13, 2023, @ 5 PM: Candidate Deadline to withdraw from candidacy.
- March 17, 2023: Initial voter registration deadline for voters to register or submit an alternative mailing address to receive a ballot by mail. All registered voters will automatically receive a ballot.
- May 9, 2023: Election Day! A polling center for Hyattsville residents will be open at the City Municipal Building, 4310 Gallatin Street. Same-Day Voter Registration will also be processed at this location. Unofficial results will be broadcast on cable (Comcast channel 71 and Verizon channel 12) and live-streamed on http://www.hyattsville-md.granicus.com/player/camera/2.
- June 5, 2023: The newly elected Councilmember will take the Oath of Office at a ceremony tentatively scheduled for 6 PM. The ceremony location has not yet been determined. The ceremony is open to the public, and residents are encouraged to attend.
Voter Registration Guidelines
You can vote in City of Hyattsville elections if you:
- Are at least 16 years of age
- Have the City of Hyattsville as your primary residence
- Do not claim the right to vote elsewhere in the U.S.
- Have not been found by a court to be unable to communicate the desire to vote
The initial deadline to register and receive your ballot by mail for the 2023 Citywide Election is March 10, 2023. Registrations received after this date will be processed on a rolling basis. Same-day registration and voting will also be available in person on Election Day, May 9, 2023.
Most Hyattsville Residents are eligible to register using the Maryland State Voter Registration Form. Forms must be submitted according to State guidelines. You may register by downloading the forms below and returning them to the Prince George's County Board of Elections or register online on the Maryland State Board Elections website. 16 and 17 year-olds who will be eligible to vote in County, State and Federal elections at age 18 should use the Maryland State Voter Registration Form. Maryland allows 16 year-olds to pre-register to vote using this form.
Hyattsville residents who are not U.S. citizens, or do not wish to register with the State, may use the Hyattsville City Voter Registration Form. Forms must be submitted to the City of Hyattsville. Download:
The Supplemental Voter Registry Affidavit can be downloaded:
- in English (PDF)
- en Español (PDF)
- Paper copies of the forms are available at the City Municipal Building.
To ensure you receive your ballot:
Check your voter registration address
- If you are registered to vote in State and County elections, Use the voter lookup to look up your status.
- If you are registered to vote only in City of Hyattsville elections, email email@example.com to check your status.
- If you believe you are registered but you have not received your ballot by early spring, please call 301-985-5001 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To Request a Replacement Ballot
The deadline to request a replacement ballot by mail has yet to be determined. After this date, you must pick up your replacement ballot in person. Voters must return a completed affidavit requesting the replacement ballot with the final ballot.
Ballot Drop-Box Locations
Secure drop boxes will be monitored by camera 24/7.
- Locations TBD
Same Day Voter Registration
Hyattsville eligible residents can register to vote and cast their ballot on Election Day at the City Building, 4310 Gallatin Street, between the hours of 7 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Voter Removal Form
No longer a Maryland voter? You can remove yourself from the Prince George's County Board of Elections voter registration database by completing this form.