2022 Ward 2 Special Election
There will be a special vote-by-mail election for Hyattsville Ward 2 residents on October 4, 2022, to fill the vacant Councilmember seat previously held by Mayor Robert Croslin.
Important Dates and Deadlines
- July 22 - August 5, 2022: Candidacy filing period for Hyattsville residents who wish to run for position of Councilmember. Additional details can be found on the City's Candidate webpage.
July 27, 2022: Candidate Information Session for residents wishing to learn more about the Councilmember position and requirements. Register here.
- August 12, 2022: Initial voter registration deadline for voters to register or submit an alternative mailing address in order to receive a ballot by mail. All registered voters will automatically receive a ballot.
- Early September 2022: Ballots mailed to all registered voters. Ballots may be mailed back (no postage required) or returned to a secure drop box (locations are TBD).
- October 4, 2022: Election Day! A polling center for Hyattsville residents will be open at the City Municipal Building, 4310 Gallatin Street. Same-Day Voter Registration will also be processed at this location. Voters with limited mobility can call (301) 985-5000 to request a ride to the building using the City's Call-A-Bus.
Ballot return deadline: Voters must return ballots to the City Municipal Building, 4310 Gallatin Street, by 8 p.m. Tuesday, October 4, 2022, either by mail, at a secure Election drop box (locations are TBD), or in person at the City Building. Postmarked ballots received after 8 PM on October 4, 2022 will not be counted.
Voter Registration Guidelines
You can vote in City of Hyattsville elections if you:
- Are at least 16 years of age
- Have the City of Hyattsville as your primary residence
- Do not claim the right to vote elsewhere in the U.S.
- Have not been found by a court to be unable to communicate the desire to vote
The initial deadline to register and receive your ballot by mail for the 2022 Special Ward 2 Election is August 12, 2022. Registrations received after this date will be processed on a rolling basis. Same-day registration and voting will also be available in person on Election Day, October 4, 2022.
Most Hyattsville Residents are eligible to register using the Maryland State Voter Registration Form. Forms must be submitted according to State guidelines. You may register by downloading the forms below and returning them to the Prince George's County Board of Elections or register online on the Maryland State Board Elections website. 16 and 17 year-olds who will be eligible to vote in County, State and Federal elections at age 18 should use the Maryland State Voter Registration Form. Maryland allows 16 year-olds to pre-register to vote using this form.
Hyattsville residents who are not U.S. citizens, or do not wish to register with the State, may use the Hyattsville City Voter Registration Form. Forms must be submitted to the City of Hyattsville. Download:
The Supplemental Voter Registry Affidavit can be downloaded:
- in English (PDF)
- en Español (PDF)
- Paper copies of the forms are available at the City Municipal Building.
To ensure you receive your ballot:
Check your voter registration address
- If you are registered to vote in State and County elections, Use the voter lookup to look up your status.
- If you are registered to vote only in City of Hyattsville elections, email email@example.com to check your status.
- If you believe you are registered but you have not received your ballot by May 16, 2022, please call 301-985-5009 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To Request a Replacement Ballot
The City is no longer able to process replacement ballot requests in advance of the Election. If you need a replacement ballot, please come to the City Building polling center at 4310 Gallatin Street between 7 a.m. - 8 p.m. on Election Day, June 7.
Ballot Drop-Box Locations
Secure drop boxes will be monitored by camera 24/7.
- LOCATIONS are TBD
Same Day Voter Registration
Hyattsville eligible residents can register to vote and cast their ballot on Election Day at the City Building, 4310 Gallatin Street, between the hours of 7 a.m. - 8 p.m.