2022 Special Mayoral Election
There will be a special election for Hyattsville residents on June 7, 2022, to fill the position of Mayor.
Important Dates and Deadlines
- March 21 - April 8, 2022: Candidacy filing period for Hyattsville residents who wish to run for position of Mayor. Additional details can be found on the City's Candidate webpage.
- April 15, 2022: Initial voter registration deadline for voters to register or submit an alternative mailing address in order to receive a ballot by mail. All registered voters will automatically receive a ballot.
- Early May 2022: Ballots mailed to all registered voters. Ballots may be mailed back (no postage required) or returned to a secure drop box (locations are TBD).
- May 12, 2022: Virtual Candidate Forum hosted by the Hyattsville Life & Times newspaper. 7 p.m. on the Hyattsville Life & Times Facebook page.
- May 18, 2022: In-person Candidate Forum with Spanish translation hosted by the Hyattsville Life & Times newspaper. 7 p.m. at St. Matthews Church, 5901 36th Avenue.
- May 23, 2022: Last day to register in advance of Election Day. Individuals who need to register after this date must register in-person on June 7, 2022 at the Polling Center,
- June 7, 2022: Election Day! A polling center for Hyattsville residents will be open at the City Municipal Building, 4310 Gallatin Street. Same-Day Voter Registration will also be processed at this location. Voters with limited mobility can call (301) 985-5000 to request a ride to the building using the City's Call-A-Bus.
Ballot return deadline: Voters must return ballots to the City Municipal Building, 4310 Gallatin Street, by 8 p.m. Tuesday, June 7, 2022, either by mail, at a secure Election drop box, located at the City Building (4310 Gallatin St), Heurich Park (2900 Nicholson St), or inside the Hyattsville Branch Library (6530 Adelphi Rd) or in person at the City Building. Postmarked ballots received after 8 PM on June 7, 2022 will not be counted.
Unofficial election results will be announced after polls close on June 7. Find details on our Election Results page.
Results will be certified by the Board of Elections by June 9 and the certified results will be accepted by City Council on June 21. The new Mayor will take their Oath of Office at a public ceremony in King Park, 4203 Gallatin St., on June 24 at 6 PM.
Voter Registration Guidelines
You can vote in City of Hyattsville elections if you:
- Are at least 16 years of age
- Have the City of Hyattsville as your primary residence
- Do not claim the right to vote elsewhere in the U.S.
- Have not been found by a court to be unable to communicate the desire to vote
The initial deadline to register and receive your ballot by mail for the 2022 Special Mayoral Election is April 15, 2022. Registrations received after this date will be processed on a rolling basis until May 23, 2022. Same-day registration and voting will also be available in person on Election Day, June 7, 2022.
Most Hyattsville Residents are eligible to register using the Maryland State Voter Registration Form. Forms must be submitted according to State guidelines. You may register by downloading the forms below and returning them to the Prince George's County Board of Elections or register online on the Maryland State Board Elections website. 16 and 17 year-olds who will be eligible to vote in County, State and Federal elections at age 18 should use the Maryland State Voter Registration Form. Maryland allows 16 year-olds to pre-register to vote using this form.
Hyattsville residents who are not U.S. citizens, or do not wish to register with the State, may use the Hyattsville City Voter Registration Form. Forms must be submitted to the City of Hyattsville. Download:
The Supplemental Voter Registry Affidavit can be downloaded:
- in English (PDF)
- en Español (PDF)
- Paper copies of the forms are available at the City Municipal Building.
To ensure you receive your ballot:
Check your voter registration address
- If you are registered to vote in State and County elections, Use the voter lookup to look up your status.
- If you are registered to vote only in City of Hyattsville elections, email email@example.com to check your status.
- If you believe you are registered but you have not received your ballot by May 16, 2022, please call 301-985-5009 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To Request a Replacement Ballot
The City is no longer able to process replacement ballot requests in advance of the Election. If you need a replacement ballot, please come to the City Building polling center at 4310 Gallatin Street between 7 a.m. - 8 p.m. on Election Day, June 7.
Ballot Drop-Box Locations
Secure drop boxes will be monitored by camera 24/7.
- City Building, 4310 Gallatin Street
- Heurich Park, 2800 Nicholson Street
- Hyattsville Branch Library, 6350 Adelphi Road (located inside the Library, accessible during Library hours only. Find hours at the Library website.)
Same Day Voter Registration
Hyattsville eligible residents can register to vote and cast their ballot on Election Day at the City Building, 4310 Gallatin Street, between the hours of 7 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Track your Ballot with Ballot Scout!
Enter your information below to track the status of your ballot. Please be advised that ballot tracking relies on USPS scanning the ballot envelope at each stage of the delivery process. If USPS fails to scan the ballot envelope at any point, gaps in ballot tracking will occur.
When your ballot is received the status will show as "Received". Your ballot status will change to "Accepted" or "Unaccepted" once it is processed. If your ballot is "Unaccepted" you can call (301) 985-5000 or email email@example.com to receive further information. Ballot processing will continue for several days past Election Day, June 7, 2022.
If you'd like to learn about how the ballot-tracking process works, click here