- Join Our Team
- Police Officer
Give one of our recruiters a call at (301) 363-0957 or email to: JoinHPD@hyattsville.org.
Entry Level Signing Bonus up to $10,000
Lateral Signing Bonus up to $25,000*
*Through April 6, 2023
The Patrol Officer provides proficient patrol services to the City of Hyattsville Community.
Patrol Officers are assigned to specific shifts and are charged with:
- Protecting life and property.
- Preserving the public peace.
- Enforcing local ordinances, as well as state and federal laws.
- Apprehending law violators.
- Preventing and deterring crime.
- Serving as a resource to the community
Patrol Officers must be able to exercise independent judgement and tact as a means of handling both routine and complex situations and making determinations and judgements on a wide spectrum of issues.
The City of Hyattsville Police Department is seeking highly motivated individuals for the position of Police Officer (Entry-Level and Lateral). Candidates should exhibit good character, sound judgement, and reliability. They should possess a customer-oriented mindset and never stray from the department’s values of “Service”, “Integrity”, and “Respect.
- Be a High School Graduate, or equivalent
- Be 21 years of age
- Possess a valid driver's license
- Have the ability to obtain and maintain the minimum requirements of the Maryland Police Training Commission (or have current certification for Laterals)
- Signing Bonus
- Up to $10,000 signing bonus for entry-level candidates
- Up to $25,000* signing bonus for lateral candidates
- Through April 6, 2023
- Specialized unit assignments for those who meet minimum requirements
- Retirement Benefits
- Insurance (Health, Life, Dental, and Vision) benefits, including dependent care
- Continued education and training opportunities
- Employee Assistance Program
- Specialized language and skills pay, where applicable
- Optional deferred compensation
- Vacation/Sick paid time off
- Take-Home vehicle program (50 air-miles)
- Hiring Process Flow Chart - Police Officer Selection Process
- For Maryland MPCTC Certified Applicants (Lateral) - Employment Application Process (EPO)
- For Non-Certified Police Officer Applicants (Entry-Level) - Employment Application Process