Public Safety Aide
Give one of our recruiters a call at (301) 985-5019 or email to: JoinHPD@hyattsville.org.
“Dispatch [insert your own three-digit number here]”, it’s a familiar phrase for anyone that’s ever called in to our department’s emergency or non-emergency lines in their times of need.
Responsible for the operations of the Communications Center, the City of Hyattsville Police Department’s Public Safety Aides (PSAs) serve as the nerve center during all emergency and non-emergency incidents received by the department, acting as the lifeline between the community and its first responders.
Each of our PSAs work as both call takers and dispatchers with the responsibility for servicing two communities with their professional experience and skillsets, the City of Hyattsville, as well as the neighboring City of Mount Rainier. Through a multitude of computerized, telephonic, and radio systems our PSAs are responsible for: Coordinating, monitoring, and controlling public safety resources and services; triaging inquiries to ensure their resolution; and collecting, evaluating, and disseminating information to other areas of the department for collaborative action, amongst their other multi-faceted responsibilities. PSAs serve on rotating, 12-hours, shifts as a means to provide 24/7 coverage.
The City of Hyattsville Police Department’s Communications Division is seeking highly motivated individuals for the position of Public Safety Aide. Candidates should exhibit good character, sound judgement, and reliability. They should possess a customer-oriented mindset and never stray from the department’s values of “Service”, “Integrity”, and “Respect.
- Be willing to work shifts assigned, which may include nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Successfully pass a background investigation, which may include a truth verification exam.
- Be able to work well with others and follow instructions. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Successfully pass a written exam.
- Be a High School Graduate, or equivalent @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Familiarity with the Hyattsville, MD area. (Hyattsville Residency Incentive)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to respond calmly and effectively under stressful situations
- Demonstrated service-oriented experiences.
- Excellent judgment and evaluation skills
- Ability to approach problems and complex issues with logic and reason
- Strong multi-tasking ability, with an understanding of effective triaging
- Effective technical skills, to include data entry
- Ability to exercise tact, patience, and courtesy in all contacts
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Experienced dispatchers are encouraged to apply
- Bi-lingual applicants are encouraged to apply @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Retirement Benefits
- Insurance (Health, Life, Dental, and Vision) benefits, including dependent care
- Continued education and training opportunities
- Employee Assistance Program
- Specialized language and skills pay, where applicable
- Optional deferred compensation
- Vacation/Sick paid time off
- Overtime Pay
- Tuition Reimbursement (Upon successful completion of probationary period)
- Shift differential compensation
- Alternating and predictable work schedule @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>